I like to start the Q/A with a good question from the group. Christi garrison had a good one.
How come jesus never answered the questions asked of him during the passion? couldn’t he have defended himself?
Maybe the Barabas stuff?
1. What is a parable and why did Jesus use these rather than speak straight up?
what is a parable that you feel is often misunderstood.
2. Speaking of misunderstanding, As we got further into Matthew it seemed the Jesus of the Bible is quite different from the Jesus of Culture? Let’s talk about the following statements and the contrast of the biblical Jesus to the culture Jesus.
-Jesus cleansing the temple. What had him so “angry?”
-Not peace but sword? Mathew 10:34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.”
-Talk of eternal punishment in Mathew 25:46 “And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
-as followers he says we’ll be Hated by ALL for my name sake? Repeated x2 in
– Cut off your hand and pluck out eye? Hyperbole?
Matthew 5:30 And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.
-The tirade against the Scribes and Pharisees in chapter 28? This was heated!!!
What was jesus getting at here and who exactly are these guys we keep seeing pop up in the Gospels?
3. Jesus’ statement in 12:46 “While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers[a] stood outside, asking to speak to him.[b] 48 But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
-What is he saying regarding his mother?
is this sort of the opposite of Catholic doctrine venerating Mary?
4. Many Are called but few are chosen? 22:14
Co-Host Growth Project Radio, Producer, Designer, Camera guy, and all the other things cool people do!